What is Phishing?
Phishing emails are malicious messages sent by cyber criminals. These messages can contain links to sites containing viruses and attachments that could install viruses on your computer.
- Only click on links you know are safe.
- Only open attachments you are expecting.
- Never reply to emails requesting personal information like your username and password or account information.
Maintaining Privacy on Social Media
It’s always tempting to share things on social media, but sometimes, the things we share can be used against us. So how do you avoid becoming a victim?
- Don’t disclose information about work on your personal use social media sites.
- Keep your privacy settings up to date.
- Don’t compromise others by tagging them in photos.
- Remove anything you would prefer to stay private.
- Remember, you are your own best privacy advocate. What you share is your choice — so make it a responsible one.
Securing your Account
To keep others from accessing your accounts, utilize some of these suggestions:
- Create a complex username. Never use any part of your name as your username. This will make it much easier for a hacker to guess.
- Use a complex password. Use an alpha/numeric password with some special characters added. This will make your password harder to crack. Avoid using the same password across multiple sites.
- Never share your password!
- Only use trusted Wi-Fi to access financial information. Be wary of Free Wi-Fi Hotspots.
- Password protect your device or use some sort of biometrics like Face ID or fingerprint.